Sports massage supports and promotes the normal function of the musculoskeletal system by different methods including massage, muscle energy and neuromuscular techniques to encourage soft tissues release.
Stretching and strengthening is also encouraged as part of the regime.
Sports massage goals are to:
- Reduce muscle tension and improve joint movement
- Decrease pain
- Promote relaxation
- Help restore soft tissues before and after a sports event
- Promote fast recovery by improving circulation after an injury
- Facilitate the removal of waste products after exercise
- Prevent injury.
What to expect from the treatment
- The initial consultation lasts over an hour. We will take a detailed history, carry out a brief assessment and provide appropriate treatment.
- Follow-up appointments usually last an hour and it is helpful to wear suitable underwear or shorts.
- Basic stretches and rehabilitation exercise may be prescribed.
- If you are at all unsure about any health issue, please check with your GP before making an appointment.